Friday, 23 May 2008

Girls' Generation, signifies girl power

Alright, many people must know that I am a huge supporter of girl power. At least you could decipher this from what I have written in my previous blog entries. BoA must be my idol, because I think it is very obvious that she is an extreme hard-worker and an artist who refuses to be defeated by challenges. To be honest, she is quite lucky to have made it to her place she is on right now, but I think most of her hard-work contributed to it. She is barely twenty-five, but she is already earning ten times my parents do, and garnering probably ten times the attention Matsushima Nanako gets in Japan. Now, don't bash me for that, for I really feel that BoA is... I don't know, humongous in Japan.



Look at her! Don't you think she's the typical dream girl for all guys?

With that said, I think it pretty much explained why I named my blog after one of her songs, Girls On Top - now I know it carries a connotation of something else, but please stop being horny! If you read the lyrics of the song, it is practically what I've wanted to say all this time!

So back to the topic about girl power, which leads to my next recent obsession - Girls' Generation a.k.a. Seo Nyeo Shi Dae. They are a Korean pop group consisting of nine teenage girls around my age, focusing on mainly bubblegum-pop and R&B. I wouldn't say they are sexy, but they could be the best examples to portray the word "youth". Here is a picture of the female version of Super Junior, who are also under the management of SM Entertainment.


So it's pretty clear that they are also DBSK, CSJH and BoA's juniors, debuted just last year August with their album entitled Girls' Generation. I was so blind to have not noticed them so soon. I figured there could have been so much fun if I had!

So a brief introduction of each member, ranking from first to last in accordance to my favourites.

First up will be YoonA, born 30th May 1990. Holla! She's younger than me but more successful than me, I know, but you don't have to remind me that. She is probably the most experienced member, because before she debuted in SNSD, she appeared in various MVs, such as Super Junior's U, one of Lee Seung Ki's MVs, DBSK's first Rising Sun concert, and is currently the leading lady in You Are My Destiny. I guess I am so envious of her but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel granted for SM. YoonA is certainly not to be underestimated, even though she isn't the lead singer or the leader in SNSD. She is one of the best dancers and one of the best actresses in the group, thus embellishing the group with more talents and making it more favourable.



Next tags along Yuri, who is just four days older than me!!! Unnie!! Ok, she might not be the best singer, but you should definitely watch her dancing on Super Junior's Attack Of The Pin-up Boys! She was featured in the movie as one of the dancers and she gave some great moves. Plus, she is one of the best dancers and she is really capable of pulling off just ANY kind of dance genres, including ballet! I guess she is gifted with this really nice figure and flexible joints. She also appeared in DBSK's Korean version of Beautiful Life MV, so you could see how close the two groups are.

Her pictures are currently used as my display pictures in almost everywhere, and I guess I'm just soaked in vanity when people keep on complimenting me that I look very pretty. Look closer, people! Hahaha!

Guys, don't tell me your heart didn't skip a beat when you see this seductive wink of hers!

Third would be Tae Yeon, Miss Leader shi! I believe she doesn't look very peculiarly beautiful at first glance but she gradually melts your heart with her impeccable voice! Please, take a look (listen) at her solo, If, and try to convince me that she doesn't sing well. I'll make you lick the floor! She reminds me of an innocent and innocuous young girl, and some say she resembles BoA. Do you see the resemblance? Well, not really for me. There was an uproar of rumours claiming that she is secretly dating DBSK's Xiah Junsu, just because they gave each other a low high-five on stage during a performance in Hollywood Bowl, USA. I didn't buy that, because the high-five looked really normal and common. But later on there were observations saying how she was spotted shopping with Junsu in a department store - she was tousling Junsu's hair and Junsu pinched her cheek in return. That got me curious, although I try not to talk so much about it. I don't mind about who dates who whatsoever. In fact, I'm so thrilled about this! Junsu and Tae Yeon, both heavily gifted individuals, I won't be so brute and try to separate them (as it's not in my authority as well).


Next on is Seo Hyun, the magnae - the youngest. She is like two years younger than me, but so mature and precocious! You really wouldn't believe it! Here, take a look at her picture!

So guess her age?

She sings really well, although I think her voice could be kinda pitchy at some time. It is good nevertheless, because it enables the group to survive some songs with higher keys. I didn't think she looks good - ordinary - but she is one of those who grows on you as you watch more of her. I have a hunch that she is quite an obedient girl as well, considering how much she misses school after her debut. She cried in one of SNSD's candlelight talk, where she expounded that one of her biggest regrets is that she has to be negligent in handling her school work. *hearts* Oh, have I mentioned that she speaks really fluent Mandarin? I don't think she learnt it since she was young, but if she had such a result after learning it for a couple of years, I would say she is good with languages - though I think sometimes she speaks Mandarin as if like she's participating in public speaking.

Next up is Tiffany, whose original name was Stephanie, but was changed due to the clash of name with CSJH's Stephanie Kim Bo Yeong. She was born and raised in Diamond Bar, California, and therefore possesses a strong command in English, both spoken and written. I am skeptical about her singing however, because I heard her singing off-key! Well, it's apprehensible, because she is one of those who acts as a spinal bone of the group when it comes to singing. Not all the girls have sweet voices, but Tiffany's vocal could be like... one of the better ones. I don't consider her one of the best though, after witnessing how she went off-key. I guess she still needs more practicing in her pitch-control before she could become like Tae Yeon.

I won't post up her picture, but if you know me, I have received comments that I look like her, except that she has really big eyes. O.O Hahaha...

Ok, it must be odd for me to put Jessica at such a lower rank, because she was the one who introduced me to SNSD. I didn't check much about the group until I heard about her rumours with Dong Hae, Kang In, Hee Chul and Jae Joong. I thought she looked like a doll at first, and she is quite decent and demure, but I think I need to think twice after watching her on variety shows and such. The fact that she was also a Californian once could contribute to her openness and inquisitiveness, but her confidence comes off as arrogance to me. I don't want to elaborate more about the reason, but it's all based on my personal observation on her attitude. Nonetheless, she has a husky but wonderful voice and I have no doubt of her capability to support the group vocally. She is fluent in English too, although unlike Tiffany, she developed a Korean accent now.

Soo Yeong is pretty, but she is very underrated! I guess it's because she doesn't get much lines in songs. I wouldn't say she sings good, because her voice is very ordinary. You could simply pull a random girl from the streets and ask her to sing a line of Merry-Go-Round, and you could get the same result as how Soo Yeong could do.

Hyo Yeon must be the best dancer in the group. I saw this video of her representing SNSD to deal with this dance battle with Wonder Girls, Kara and Black Pearl. I must say, compared to the others, she diffuses this do-not-mess-with-me aura on the dance floor, and her movements are really energetic! She looks like Song Hye Kyo in some angles, but I think I have yet to come to like her yet.

Sunny is also underrated, although I wouldn't say she is my favourite. Ok, I admit I detect her existence in SM as a result of nepotism. Well, please do not blame me for putting this so bluntly and brutally, but it doesn't help much getting to know that her father, her sister and her uncle are all SM staff members. I do think Sunny is potential, but I kinda resent her for getting the opportunity partially because of her relationship with the staff members. However, I give her props for being appreciative of the presents her fans gave her. I saw her wearing a shirt fans from SoShified presented her during Hollywood Bowl. I must say, I admire people like her who do not shove fans' presents aside or even sell them.

I'd like to clarify that this is purely my opinion, so I could have got my facts wrong. I hold no intension trying to insinuate and bad-mouth her. I apologise if I sounded harsh.

No comments: